While trying to get some organization and cleanliness to the studio I noticed an interesting intersection of a few attempted drawings. Often, the liquid I pour looks to escape it’s drawing surface (usually paper) and blaze a slow and disheartening trail across my table. The above image is evidence that this can sometimes be a good thing.
In most cases I do a single pour and leave it at that, but after multiple floods, I see the result has a more layered, intricate and detailed composition. I need to be more controlled about where and when I pour so as to be open to adding more, if needed.
As I write this I’m wondering what my fascination is with the effects of poured liquid on paper. I’m going to think on that more.
Anyway, today I’m buying wood for 2 new studio tables. The current tables, the first, made over 10 years ago from recycled wood and sitting atop wheels from a mainframe computer (which I found in a dumpster) and the other, a door on plastic saw horses, have reached their limit. I’m pretty excited as I’m building out of necessity instead of habit.
In the past I would totally outfit my studio before any work was made, spending a lot of time getting it just right and not making any work until it was. Since moving to Los Angeles, and having such a hard time finding affordable space, all I simply wanted to do was make work. That changed this week when the current setup started to get in the way. That’s what I’m doing today. I’ll post some images soon.